Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Is that your final offer? Is it?!

Forces beyond my control have conspired to cause our family to lose our health insurance.  It's just one of those things; I bear no grudges.  We are just victims of the economy.

These days, though, a family needs health insurance, just in case.

So over the past few weeks I've been calling around and investigating both coverages and prices.  I narrowed it down to two, and then went with a nationally known company.

The application process was painless, and I was quoted a monthly premium of $537 for health and pharmacy coverage for myself, LW, K2 and K3.  I thought that was an outrageous amount, but like I said, you gotta have health insurance these days.

Last week, though, not having received any correspondence or insurance cards, I called Nationally Known Health Care Company.  After pressing 1 for English and sifting through four or five other options I finally was connected to a live person.  Live person said that well, as fate would have it, my premium would actually be $632 a month for the same coverage. 

I asked why that was so much more than the agent quoted me.  The rep said that the agent's quote was only an estimate.  (That information would have been helpful for budgeting how much we were anticipating spending on health insurance.)  The rep also said that we'd have to answer a few questions before they would activate our policy. 

"Ask away," says I.  We need that coverage to be activated.

The rep said that she'd have someone call us.

A few days later someone did call us.   The lady said that she was a doctor and proceeded to ask LW and I all manner of health related questions.  When was the last time we'd seen a doctor?  What for?  What was the diagnosis?  What was the treatment?  How long did the treatment last?  Had we been back go the doctor for this diagnosis.

Let me set the record straight, here.  I, LW and Kids 2 and 3 are in fine shape.  We have seen the doctor for just minor stuff over the last few years.

In any case the good doctor who interrogated us said that she'd have so speak personally to Kids 2 and 3 since they are over 18. 

She did, over the following few days.

Yesterday we received an email from Nationally Known Health Care Company stating that our new premium is $720 a month.  That, friends and neighbors, is two premium increases totalling $183 a month (a 34% increase) before we have even had the policy approved and activated!  We can't even see a doctor yet, even if we need to!

Can anyone else think of a company that raises it's price twice before the service even starts?

Holy cow, this rivals even used car salesmen, cable companies and Congress for underhanded behavior.

Explain to me, again, why nationalized health care would be worse? 

No comments:

Post a Comment